Saturday February 6, 2021
Scripture Text; Matt 10:16-33
Theme: Ready for Persecution
The believer in Christ must be ready for persecution at all times. This is the hallmark of every believer. It is the mark we bear for the sake of our lord Jesus. Jesus knew this and gave the warning to his disciples. The warning is written down for our benefit. Jesus was persecuted right from birth and here in verse 24, he tells us that a disciple is not above his teacher, nor a servant above his master.
Jesus has warned us clearly. He didn’t hide the truth. He didn’t deceive us to think that following him is bread and butter. The master was definite:
behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves (v 16)
What a great love he has for us. He already knew what our journey Will be like, therefore, as a wise parent, he fore warns us so that we will be fore armed. He further gives details of what we must suffer in his name, thus;
- You will be brought before governors and kings (v18)
- Brother will deliver up brother to death (v 21)Y
- you will be hated by all (v22)
Thankfully, he is also the one who equips us for every battle. He teaches my hands to war (Psalm 144:1). He gets us ready for the persecution ahead of time by outlining what we must do and the mindset we must have
- We must be wise as serpent and harmless as doves, (v 16b)
- When they deliver you up do not think of how to defend yourself(v19)
- It is not you who will speak for your defence but the holy spirit (v20).
Then bear in mind that:
- a servant is not greater than his master. Your suffering simply shows that you are toeing the same line as your master Jesus.( v25)
- the time of persecution is the best time to speak up more publicly for Jesus instead of denying him (32-33).
- You must not fear those that are able to kill the flesh. Rather give up your life if it comes to that point and be with the lord who is able to preserve your soul.
Beloved, this task is never easy. If you are born again and living the life, you must have been experiencing this persecution. Now be ever ready to face more. All you need to overcome is found in Deuteronomy 6:5 You shall love the lord your God with all your heart,and with all your soul and with all your strength. If you love him this way, there is nothing you will not bear for his sake. May God continue to equip all the saints who are facing diverse persecutions in secret and in the open with the grace they need to persevere and overcome through Christ Jesus our living saviour, Amen!